We happily left Uis with wheels almost spinning to get out of there.  Back on the road again we turned onto the bumpiest gravel road ever (probably not). It felt as though my fillings were coming loose and my brain was shaking my skull.

Finally tired and super happy to get out of the car we arrived at the Organ Pipes.I would never have known there was something to behold had my dad not stopped the car and an official looking person stood in the middle of nowhere. I climbed out of the car and gave my eyes and more importantly my lungs a moment to adjust, having exited the air conditioned car and into the dry hot air. My dad directed us towards the small canyon and after a short walk I started to see the sharp triangular rocks. We took some photos and walked through the canyon before retreating to the air conditioned car again.

Our next destination was the famous White Lady, a bushmen painting of a woman in the colour white instead of the more commonly used brown paint. Once there I found out that it was about an hour’s walk to the site, I was quite gutted, because I was still sick after climbing the dune in Sossusvlei and found it rather difficult to breath. I climbed a little hill serving as a practice run and once at the top I was huffing and puffing, Triin was happy not to do the walk so I was used as the excuse for no one to go. Like I said I was gutted.

We decided to get to our accommodation in Twyfelfontein, all of us quite tired and looking forward not to be in the car and to just relax. We had found our accommodation in a magazine about Namibia and once there it dawned on me that there was no town and no shop. My father remembered some fancy accommodation close by so we drove there and had lunch, it was rather nice with a swimming pool and restaurant.

The thing I found odd was that I had never heard of a place where it actually had a name, but consisted only of camping grounds and a fancy accommodation, does that constitute as a town?? Another thing I had found strange was that my father had been there before yet failed to mention making provisions for food, so whatever we had served as dinner.

I also had an argument with the staff because they charged me more then the price quoted in the magazine, which I said was obvious false advertising. In the end we decided that we were all just tired, so we paid the money because there was literally nowhere else to stay and had beer. I’m not the type to drink everyday anymore, especially when you are constantly travelling, because it’s a expensive and unhealthy habit, but when it’s so hot and you’re in the desert, a beer at the end of the day is the best.

Being in the middle of nowhere has it’s benefits though, the sunset was absolutely breath taking and the stars were amazing!! My father and I ended up having a super long conversation about life in general and a bit about my life abroad, it was super nice to chat with him. He said that he was proud of me making a life for myself in London, even buying a flat and that I didn’t really ask for much help, it felt good hearing him say that. Isn’t that the words all children want to hear from their parents, that they are proud of you?

My parents slept in a tiny room with a door that didn’t quite close, my mother was not impressed. Triin and I slept in a tent that they had set up for us,  walking to the tent under the million stars was amazing. In the morning we had some weetabix and were back on the road again.